All programmers are optimists. Perhaps this modern sorcery especially attracts those who believe in happy endings and fairy godmothers. Perhaps the hundreds of nitty frustrations drive away all but those who habitually focus on the end goal. Perhaps it is merely that computers are young, programmers are younger, and the young are always optimists. But however the selection process works, the result is indisputable: “This time it will surely run” or “I just found the last bug.“
– Fred Brooks Jr.
Shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
The job of a leader and his or her team is to deliver to commitments in the short term while investing in the long term health of the business. … Employees will benefit from job security and better rewards. Customers will benefit from better products or services. Communities will benefit because successful companies and their employees give back. And obviously shareholders will benefit because they can count on companies who deliver on both their short term commitments and long term vision.
– Jack Welch
Yes, Virginia, we really used to write computer programs this way. This ad is from 1971, when IBM introduced its last key punch, the 129. The first in the series was introduced in 1964. Notice the simple ad copy, which actually includes sentence fragments… from “the company behind the computer.” Those were the days.
I used one of these in the early 1980s, and I don’t recall the buffer allowing me to correct before the card was punched, so it must have been an earlier model. I combat the impression of me being that old by suggesting that I was using outdated equipment at the time. Hey, my high school was in the process of converting things over to the Commodore SuperPET. Yup, that’s a 1MHz processor with 96KB of RAM. In Internet years, this is prehistoric material of the type Indiana Jones might unearth. Hmmm, maybe I am old.
The weekly Twitter summary has been missing lately… this is the blog catch-up for the Twitter-impaired.
- #followfriday @richardbranson — because he might really be @batman. Hey, you never know. Dec 11th
- RT @bromaynard: #ff @sierranoble — b/c she wants 1000 followers. Is it a Possibility? http://bit.ly/4tGeRZ (beautiful earworm!) <– right! Dec 11th
- #followfriday @aswinn — intelligence & wit amid a stream of consciousness from the writers set. Dec 11th
- @artofmanliness — and artfully done. #followfriday Dec 11th
- @kim is my best new follow from last #followfriday — pass it on. Dec 11th
- RT @alaindebotton: The most obvious, but nevr mentioned, prediction abt future is it will share most of its characteristics w/ the past. Dec 11th